Horrington Cricket Club – Club History

The Club was founded on 4th October, 1929 at The Old School Room, East Horrington, Near Wells, Somerset.  Situated on the edge of the Mendip Hills, Horrington is one of the smallest village clubs in Somerset.  The Club first played in the 1930 season before being disbanded in 1950.

It was common to use a different field every year in the pre and immediate post war days due to the farmers haymaking commitments.  In 1979 the Club re-formed and moved to its permanent home venue, known as Chapel Piece, two years later in 1981. 

The Club joined the Somerset Cricket League in 1995 and, apart from 2015 (North Somerset League), has maintained continuous membership achieving the following Honours:

Division 7 Champions (1995)

Division 6 Champions (2001)

Division 4 Champions (2004)

Division 9 (North) Champions (2016)

2nd XI Competition Division 4 (North East) Champions (2003)

The Don Crouch Trophy (Most Sporting Team) (2003)

The greatest day in the history of the Club fell on 1st April, 2017.  On that date it was announced that the Club had purchased Chapel Piece for £85,000 after a successful community campaign against the odds in a short and pressured time frame of six months.  The Club is now seeking to create a Charitable Trust in order to preserve the Ground as a community asset in perpetuity.