Founded in 1860, Ilminster Cricket Club has been a central part of the local community for over 150 years.With recent refurbishments to our beloved bar area (aptly nicknamed ‘the shed’) and recently renamed the Tony Rice Bar after one of the clubs longest and most devoted servants- Tony Rice- the club is continually looking towards the future.
Ilminster Cricket Club was formed on 5th June 1860 at a meeting in the George Hotel, with an initial membership of 17. Early matches were played at Moolham before the club moved to Swan Mead. There was then a move to the Grammar School ground, then to the football ground before returning to Swan Mead. The club lost the ground at Swan Mead during the 2nd World War. At the centenary dinner in 1960 Mr Fred Carpenter, the club President, suggested there was no more intimate ground in existence than Swan Mead. The Recreation Ground Ilminster – Then and Now
After the war the club moved to the recreation ground and stayed until 1973 when following the closure of the Grammar School took over their ground and pavilion. The club’s old pavilion on the recreation ground was used to construct a new clubhouse and bar , opened in 1977. The building has recently been refurbished and extended and re-named The Tony Rice Bar in memory of the well known and respected club stalwart.
Some memorable dates:
1975 joined the Somerset Cricket League
1978 Second team formed
1991 Third team formed
1996 1st Team won Somerset League and Major Cup
2004 Won Baker Cup and Major Cup
2007 1st team promoted to West of England Premier League
2008 Fourth team formed
The photos above show teams from 1900 at Swan Mead, the opening of the pavilion on the recreation ground, and the successful team of the late 1990s.